Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Lovely Niagara

Mark Twain's style of writing always leaves me feeling very intelligent. The way he weaves his extremely large vocabulary together often causes me to suspect him of writing as he reads through the dictionary... This I am sure is not the case and he naturally has a ridiculously wide variety of intelligent words stored away in his thinker. Doesn't everyone?

Due to the occasionally over-whelming but entertaining collection of large words, this is a piece of work with the potential of being a read appropriate for a relaxing afternoon where no thinking is required on your part but yet still demands your full attention to catch the humor and adventure of the story. Mark Twain's ability to portray events with raw comedy and a touch of sarcasm always leaves the reader entertained and ready to continue on despite the intimidating lengthiness the majority of his work consists of -thus he has gained his popularity!

While my little sister and her friend read Niagara Falls together aloud, I was privileged to be in the same room and listen as they sounded out each extensive sentence with steady articulation. About half way through, they both stopped suddenly and then turning to me asked, "what on earth is happening?" Again with my point of the necessity of one's attention when reading a story such as this...

3 comments:

  1. exactly! I like this.

    It also explains where my brain has been this week, because focusing on any reading has been hard. :-/ Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! I love the last paragraph. Sometimes if you read Twain too closely, you end up getting lost in the big words and having no idea what's going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The way he weaves his extremely large vocabulary together often causes me to suspect him of writing as he reads through the dictionary"

    hahaha! Totally... it's very entertaining. I like your essay, and your point about paying attention. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete